I’ve been recently asked by many and also I’m seeing similar qns on Quora and coursera entrepreneurship courses.If you are wondering what the question is . Its very simple. It goes along these lines…I have couple of ideas and/or I have shortlisted few of them. Now what do I do?
I was in the same boat multiple times and having been part of multiple startups as early employee and also as someone who failed once before while trying to start a consumer electronics before, I started following this lean methodology framework for my current digital healthcare startup (www.sensoryhealthsystems.com)
1. Download lean canvas ( http://www.leanlaunchlab.com) to understand UVP of your solution. Have only 1-2 strong UVP that is directly addressing the pain points and must-haves
2. Break down your idea into multiple questions and for each qn
a. Talk to atleast 25 people.
b. Get feedback
c. Validate the hypothesis
3. Next download the business model canvas and fill in the whole canvas
a. Next change the customer segment and see how it impacts the cost/revenue stream
b. Keep doing this for all customer segments. You can make some approximations in terms of how much you might want to charge.
c. Repeat the above expt with Distribution channels. For example, if you are making an app that is downloadable via app store or google playstore, then you have give away 35% of what you make..web version you dont give any..so figure out how the distribution channel affects your revenue
d. Figure out who you want to partner with and what the partnership costs are
4. Next depending on whats your customer demographics , figure out the below by running mkting/ad campaigns
a. User acquisition costs (CAC)
b. Figure out the life time value (LTV)
c. Make sure LTV > 3 x CAC at the min
d. Figure out what the funneling looks like and how long does it take to convert a single user to paying customer
e. Figure out how you plan to retain customer and how much does it cost over the life time value of the customer..
5. Build up MVP and iterate it by constantly getting feedback from your prospects…try to sell them and see if they would be interested…if they are not interested, dig deeper why they dont want to ..is it not addressing the pain point directly, they dont see much value for the price you are offering , usability of product sucks or steep learning curve, trust etc….
6. Get some informal medical advisory team who is expert and understands the value proposition of your offering. Get 2-3 mentors as well who can guide on business side …
7. Once all the above are done, then form your core team, get a cofounder or principal, CTO and get the beta out….
Feel free to ping me if you have any qns. Good Luck…